Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dead Dogs, Cemeteries and Apostles


Family and Friends,
This week very well could have been one of the most interesting of my mission. In all the weirdest ways possible. haha. The subject line should say it all. So i will start with the first one.
Wednesday, is a day that changed my mentality.. probably for a lifetime. We went to a lunch appointment at a member's house. We were waiting around outside.. enjoying God's creations; air, friends, life... when suddenly i see an old Filipino man walking by us with a noose looking rope and stick thing. I thought maybe it was for fishing or, idk. Next thing i know he is returning.. this time with a dog in his catching contraption. I thought wow, how sad. He is dragging that dog, hopefully it will be okay. I asked Elder, what is he about to do? His only response was, patay (die). next thing i see is a big giant stick being brought down with great force upon the dog's neck. Yes, i watched it get killed.. but wait, it gets better... He then presumed to tie its legs between 2 trees.. and, skin it! yes.. like a deer! and yes.. i watched and took pictures. (those will arrive at a later time possibly). It was one of the most horrifying this i have ever seen. I saw the cycle of a dog going from alive.. to killed.. to skin.. to dinner. And no, i didnt eat it. But wow..all i have to say is, I.Am.In.The.Philippines.
Next awesome thing. So here in the Philippines November 1 is All Saints Day. Everyone.. and i mean everyone.. goes to the cemetery and light candles, give flowers, pray,etc. Naturally we went and proselyted there! Just going up to random people and saying.. hey we are gonna teach you about the plan of salvation. Good experiences. Lots of new investigators.
3rd. Apostles. Yes, i shook hands with Neil L. Andersen! What a blessing! He is a super cheerful and jolly guy. He gave a great training about sharing the gospel with all people. IT was a wonderful experience.
Sorry my emails are getting progressively worse.. hah! i feel like time is just slipping out of my hands. Plus all the computers here suck. haha. and about the shirts i wear looking yellow.. thats just a part of the mission here in the pines. Thats what happens when the water you wash your clothes with isnt clean. haha. dont worry. I love you all. I hope you all are reading the scriptures.. and repenting daily. I amlearning that those 2 things are of eternal importance on a daily basis. I love you. God loves us all.
Palangga,
Elder Stagg

No comments:

Post a Comment