Sunday, August 3, 2014

Campaigner

Family and Friends,

"You can't be always tired and always hungry... that's just useless." -Elder Powell

Name of my new indie band... 'The harvest is past, the summer is ended'

Well.. First, I have a new companion. Elder Powell from Vernal Utah. Small world right? He is great.. super funny. He is very intellectual... we have had some deep deep deep doctrine conversations.. i mean like off in outer space doctrine stuff.. ahaha. awesome! 

The work here in Masville is golden. I love the members here... really. They are so willing to help with the work.  No baptism this week... but many are in the works!!

I learned that I love to eat fruit. Especially rhambutan... yeah, its the greatest. You will see pictures one day. 

We had district conference this week (La Carlota is a district not a stake). Wow. Amazing. Heard many inspired messages... even from President and Sister Lopez. Some things I learned from our conference.. Do we realize how important our prophet is? God only guide His kingdom through His prophet... ponder that. Interesting one liner from a RM... "There is no reason to become less-active". He spoke of how at times we "deny Christ" by the way we disgrace our covenants. Sunday Meetings are the best and most important way to retain and keep our covenants in remembrance. I hope you go to church every week, because i am out here inviting people to do that same thing all day every day. Another awesome one liner from the 1st Counselor of the mission presidency.. "Instant gratification creates weak people". That is about spiritual things. Parents.. Siblings.. Cousins.. Are you reading your scriptures daily? It may not be an ultimately  'instant' gratification... but its a commandment. I have learned why. Think of a typical day... up for about 15 hours or so... how many of those hours are spent on the "carnal-mind" (2 Nephi 9:39)? Honestly... how many? When we do that simple half hour of personal study of the scriptures.. it trains our brains to be "spiritually-minded". From the same verse we learn where those two types of mind sets lead to.... I wont give you all the learning, open it up and read for yourself. The single biggest thing I learned from district conference... is the importance of family.

I love chicken... its such a great meal. I also love vegetables.. #getskinny

Another Study Note. I'm gonna take you to the Old Testament. Numbers Chapter 22. Balaam is a man under the influence of the Holy Ghost... a somewhat righteous man from what i can see. He is offered 'honors and riches' to curse Israel. (That kind of relates back to the "denying Christ" reference). He counsels with the Lord... who tells him to do or say nothing except "... but yet the word which I shall say unto thee." He is offered again riches and honor... he stays true. But then he makes the mistake. Verse 21. "He rose up in the morning,  and saddled his ass, and went with the prince of Moab." Why is that a mistake???? He acted against God's advice... he did not wait for the Lord's word. The next part is instructive... The Lord opens the eyes of Balaam's ass. His trusted animal and friend's eyes are opened. The animal sees the angel of the Lord who desires to slay Balaam. But Balaam is well... prideful. He does not recognize that his animal has been enlightened... he gets angry and smites his animal. Why? Because he knew not that the Lord was warning him through his animal. Balaam was blinded by his own stiffneckedness. Finally Balaam sees the angel, and feels remorse for his incorrect decision. How many times have our leaders given us counsel... how many times have their eyes been "opened" before ours.. warned us.. tried to do whatever possible to lead us away from that which will slay us.. yet.. like Balaam... we think we are better than our "animal". God will warn us through others. Are we humble enough to take their advice? Are we sensitive enough to see that they may be more enlightened than us? And when our "animal" or leader... gives us counsel, do we get angry and wish to hurt or afflict the one giving us counsel. And trust me... i have been chastised MANY times by my leaders here on my mission. This message helped me this week. Also, do you see the underlying root of all of Balaam's problems? His desire for honors and riches. He put those before the Lord's counsel. It's that simple... we must put God's kingdom first. I am seeing amazing blessings. 

Side note... 2 Nephi 9:28. I have learned a lot about planning.. i do it daily on my mission. Why? Why must you plan? Yes, you at home. Because Satan is planning daily as well... .do we realize that? Satan is set on destroying us. Literally. We need a defense...we need the 'counsel of God'. Or are we setting it 'aside'... where are your scriptures? Do you know? When did you open them last? I testify that we cannot come to the full measure of obtaining the Spirit if we set aside our holy writ. There is also a promised curse in this verse ... "they shall perish." I cant emphasize this any more forcefully.... OPEN AND READ YOUR SCRIPTURES. I didn't for like 4 years and look where I ended up. Look. Near to perishing...! Look what saved me.... Look what changed me... Its a little blue book entitled The Book of Mormon. Nothing else. I had much to guide me to correction.. but it really came down to my scripture study. I am writing you as a full-time missionary because I read my scriptures and made a turn around. 

Just a side note... I hope you know that these messages I write are meant directly for you. Mom. Dad. Cassie. Cami. Cole. You are the intent that i write my "scirptures" every Monday. No investigator is gonna read this... i have other lessons for them. Preaching the gospel makes "God more willling to forgive us of our personal sins" -Spencer W Kimball. I am preaching to all of you because I love you all. And because i have a responsibility to God. I love preaching... mostly because it forces me to try and live the same way as well, im trying!! 

I love you all so much. I have the best family!

Palangga,
Elder Stagg

No comments:

Post a Comment