Sunday, September 21, 2014

I Know Thy Works

Family and Friends,

What a week... when you put your heart and mind into something, you reap rewards. Things are lining up nicely here in Minoyan. We are being proposed for a branch within the next month, wow!! The Lord truly is hastening His work...! People's hearts are being prepared by the Spirit, I truly have a testimony of that.

95 days na lang!

Wanna know an amazing blessing? When your companion is a master teacher. I love it. Elder Juco is a boss (and his look alike is Rufio from Hook, i lvoe it). Our lessons are short, powerful and chalked full of application from Preach My Gospel. Speaking of Preach My Gospel... are you reading yours? It is not just a missionary's book... it is a study tool and guidebook for members of any age, calling or spiritual level. It has changed the way I study and how I teach. Really though... its one of my favorite books. It was written mostly by the apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ!

The weeks are going so fast. Even the months. Christmas is coming up fast... who will you invite to church or give a Book of Mormon. I invite you to ponder that. We all love giving out sweets and baskets to our neighbors for Christmas... whose basket could best use Another Testament of Jesus Christ? Give it some thought. Let's make a deal. You do that, and I will prepare someone to be baptized on Christmas day... conversion on both sides of the globe #teamwork.

My life is hilarious on the mission. We have super awesome experiences all the time. I can't even remember them... luckily they are mostly in my journal or on video journals that I make!

I am slowly but surely getting addicted to rice. Sad part is, I hate rice.

PMG note. Pg 195. Helping investigators make and keep commitments. Any RM knows that this is one of the most important things you do as a missionary, and the most difficult! But why is it so important? Simply put, it creates repentance. Asking someone to read a chapter in Alma, or pray about Joseph Smith, or stop drinking coffee... you are "declaring repentance". That is ultimately why I am here in the Philippines. I cannot begin to explain the feeling you have as a missionary when an investigator does not keep their commitment. Especially when they made it seem so sure that they would do it, then they do not. Let down central. Another important aspect of commitments is to "prepare... to make and keep covenants". Isn't that basically what our Father in Heaven does with us when we make covenants. He asks us to commit to live a certain way... we accept... and then what? Do we disappoint Him? Do we have excuses as to why we did not follow through on our commitment (I have heard every excuse in the book at this point in my mission). I am grateful for covenants. From baptism, to priesthood, and all the way up to the temple. They bless us. God has "always required his people to make covenants". I love the Savior and our Father in Heaven. I love that Heavenly Father is bound when we do what He asks. Covenants lead to salvation. Also, the feeling when my investigator does keep their commitment is heavenly.

One note of encouragement for all of you. Be Positive. I am way far away from perfect on this... but it helps. The Lord despises pessimism. I am guilty of it at times.. but what I am learning is this... what does negativity really accomplish? Nothing. 

I believe in the power of the gospel. I believe it can bring peace. See 2 Nephi 21:9. There will come a day when "[none] shall hurt nor destroy...". How can that thing called 'world peace' really happen? Through the knowledge of the gospel. It is the only way. The gospel transforms people... I see it daily.. in myself and in my fellowman. 

Read your scriptures.

Tudloi ako nga magdougie.

"Nobody said it was easy" -Coldplay.

I love you all.... the time is starting to fly by. haha!! weird. I miss you all, even though i can barely remember you!! haha. This is a bit advanced, but if you are planning on sending me something for Christmas or what not, don't. Take whatever money you would use to send me a package or what not, and put it in my bank account. College, sports, and real life is gonna hit me real hard in a few months here. haha.I can survive just fine without american candy for another few months.  I love you all :)

Palangga,
Elder Stagg

No comments:

Post a Comment