Monday, April 8, 2013

MTC Week #1


Family & Friends,
First off thanks for the emails, letters, packages and prayers. They are very appreciated. If I don't handwrite you back a letter, dont be offended. Just realize that there is about no time in the day to write. P-day is Mondays! SO a couple quick things, it has been hilarious seeing about 7 or 8 missionaries who i outfitted for their missions at Mr. Mac. I'm like a suit celebrity. Kidding, but its kinda true. My companion's name is Elder Evans from Moapa Valley in Nevada. Real Small town so he has a small town mindset. He does redneck activities but isn't a redneck. its intersting. We get along pretty well .. its easy because we are both pretty easy going. We have taught two lessons to "investigators" already in Hiligaynon. Its crazy how quickly but also slowly the language is coming. Its a very unique language but honestly makes more sense than English. I have seen 4 or 5 people i know from high school so thats always an exciting thing. Whoever said that i wouldn't get a good meal or a hot shower because it was too busy... was WAY wrong. I eat better here than i ever have and the food is usually pretty good actually. The showers are always hot. Life is good in that regard. The sheets and blankets are somewhat like sandpaper, thank goodness i brought my own sheets and another elder who left today gave me his blanket. Bonds form quickly at the MTC. My district and I are already very close. There is Sister Sefeti from Fiji, Sister Mullins from West Valley, Sister Smoot from American Fork, Sister Nielsen from Mesa, Arizona, and of course my companion Elder Evans. I was made district leader on thursday (I had a 50/50 chance being that there is only my companion and i as elders in our district haha.) but still know its an assignment from the Lord and am grateful for it. It already has taught me alot about being a better example and trying to exemplify our savior with love. I already feel like i have been here forever... in a good way though. Our teacher is Sister Weight, she got back from Bacolod about 2 years ago. She teaches us tons and is very patient with us.

 I know Jay and Phe wanted me to not be spiritual in my first letter and tell it how it really is.... BUT spiritual is ALL it is. haha. There is so much time to study, learn, and be taught by amazing leaders. President and Sister Nally (MTC President) are great, they always invite the spirit so well. Easter Sunday yesterday was like none other. An amzing day to remember the Atonement and realize how important Christ is in our lives, especially as missionaries. We had a special sacrament meeting where the sacrament was passed to over 3,000 missionaries at one time. That was great. Bishop and Sister Causse (presiding bishop of the church) came and spoke to us. A couple things i want to share from Bishop Causse's remarks. We as missionaries are holding the salvation of people in our hands, what a powerful reminder to always be striving to progress. Another thing he taught that i loved was that, NOTHING is more important than preparing our testimony of our Savior. Not just me, but for everyone. It is the savior and his infinite atonement that encompasses the gospel. Love is a gift, a gift we receive from God. Bishop Causse quote Victor Hugo (author of Les Miserables, the book) who said, "love is celestial respiration of the air of paradise.Oh, side note. The singing during the devotionals is amazing. SO SO powerful. I can't explain it. Gets me everytime. haha. If you want a super solid testimony of the savior and atonement go read Bruce R McConkie's conference talk from April 1985 entitled ""The Purifying power of gethsemane." its amazing. just read it.

The MTC is honestly way fun. Yeah there are hard times.. and yeah you get down. But through the spirit we can all be made better by the Atonement. I will bear part of my testimony in hiligaynon so you know what im working with here.haha!
Kabalo ako nga ang Libro ni Mormon ano ang pulong sang Diyos. Kabalo ako nga buhi si JesuCristo, kag propeta si Joseph Smith. Kabalo ako nga matuod ang simbahan ni Jesucristo sang mga Santos sa Ulihing mga adlaw. Sa ngalan ni Jesucristo amen.
Yeah so its really interesting. Lots of long words but it will come with time! I'll leave you with a quote from President Uchtdorf that he gave at the MTC about 10 years ago.--- "Geographically divided but spiritually united." Keep that especially in mind once i'm in Bacolod. Hope all is well.
Palannga,
Elder Stagg
MTC District



Elder Lee (serving in Hong Kong) and Devin

Elder Stagg and his district

No comments:

Post a Comment